Roasted Tomato & Red Bell Pepper Soup
Tomatoes are rich in Lycopene. Try this soup served warm in the winter or chilled on a hot, steamy summer day.
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 large red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups (approximately) vegetable stock (preferably low sodium)
Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and garlic on large roasting pan or baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables until tender and beginning to brown, turning occasionally, if needed, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place vegetables and any pan juices in a food processor. Add thyme
- Pulse soup just until ingredients are blended, then puree while gradually adding vegetable stock until soup reaches desired consistency. If serving chilled, refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, stirring before serving.