Grilled Vegetable Pizza
A timeless classic gets updated on the grill and the tomatoes are a source of lycopene. Consider switching the other toppings to suit your tastes – shredded chicken, spinach and black olives are just a few ideas.
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup small portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, sliced
Preheat grill (or oven) to 400 degrees
- Place dough on a large piece of lightly floured aluminum foil and stretch or roll dough into a 12 by 12 round
- Lifting dough and foil together, place the dough side on the grill and carefully peel off foil. Cover grill and cook just until bottom starts to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip crust over onto a pan or plate, so that the grilled side is up
- Brush grilled side of crust with olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and cheese.
- Return pizza to grill, cover and cook 2-3 more minutes or until bottom is crisp. Slide pizza back onto pan or plate, sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
If cooking pizza in oven, assemble pizza completely and place on pizza pan or pizza stone and place in oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.